St Mary the Virgin, Orchardleigh

St Mary's Church, Orchardleigh courtesy of David King

St Mary the Virgin Orchardleigh

The Grade 1 Listed Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin sits on a moated island adjacent to ‘Church Lake’ on the Orchardleigh Estate in Somerset and appears to have been built in the last quarter of the 13th  century or first quarter of the 14th century, and despite two major 19th century restorations (c1800 when a Gothic Revival style was imposed and again in 1879, when under the local squire the Revd W. A. Duckworth, George Gilbert Scott Junior was employed), some details of c1300 survive. These are mostly in the chancel, where the windows and their arches, the north doorway, piscina and aumbry, and several carvings are all of this period.

There is much stained glass of the mid c15 and early c16; east window with a tonsured figure flanked by angels; north and south chancel windows with 8 figures of the apostles and texts, the window over priests door with a representation of the Holy Trinity; south window to nave with a winged ox and a winged lion representing St. Mark and St. Luke, the west window with angels and figures, St. Michael in the tracery lights.